Saturday 3 March 2012

Veterinary Journalism?


So. What a week. I had the Air Ambulance dinner at Westminster (above - me on the right of our local MP) on Wednesday: had to do a speech about my accident, throwing in a few hints that everyone should support the air ambulance. I don't mind talking in front of people but when it came to the night before and I still didn't know what to say, I was in hyper-stress mode. It was mainly because I couldn't quite work out the real 'point' of the evening (still not quite sure even though it's over and done with). But I calmed down after the WNAA PR girl sorted me out and helped me write the speech. It went well, I didn't mess up, and I think being used as a tactical empathy story had an influence on the people there.

The dinner was in a beautiful room in the Houses of Commons and there were a load of medical 'big wigs' there such as the Minister of State for Heath, Simon Burns, the chief executive of the Royal College of Surgeons, a few top bods from UCL Medical school and load of other MP's. I even managed to bag some EMS (work exp while at vet school) for next year with a Baroness we were sitting near. Though paralysed from the waist down when she fell in a point-to-point race 40 years ago, she still runs a yard full of 40+ Highland Ponies and has lots of rare breed sheep to keep her occupied. And she was absolutely lovely.

It was actually the topic of Schmallenberg that got us talking, which is what brings me round to the misrepresentation posed by the media, that has slightly irritated me. A few people have tweeted me following my jokes about the midges - what bloody midges survive British February? - I wouldn't say putting me down but certainly making me feel less intelligent than I am. Although seemingly obvious to someone who knows about it, the media have portrayed the whole condition poorly. All that needed to be said was that the animals in question (has anyone twigged it's only ruminants affected so far?) would have been infected (by the accused midges) at the time of conception and it is only now, when they're giving birth, that the effects on the young are evident. The impression that I got to begin with was that the animals are being infected NOW. Hence the whole 'midges at this time of year?!' It's not surprising that there are rumours about the virus coming from imported animals/meat when such a simple statement isn't made clear. The fact is that we don't know enough about the virus to construct any clear cut, solid facts. The profession should just admit that rather than trying to float in a middle ground of vague statements.

Guy thinks I should be a Veterinary Journalist, not just a Surgeon when I qualify. If I ever take heed of his advice, I will make certain that I don't make mistakes such as these.

No comments:

Post a Comment